Whether to hire a skip or a trailer is a dilemma that faces lots of homeowners every day. The choice often depends on your individual needs, but one of the two far outweighs the other in terms of benefits.
If you have a lot of heavy materials that need to be cleared away rapidly, then skip hire is often a better option. Here’s a more detailed look at their differences and advantages.
Skips are large metal containers that are available in a range of sizes. They are collected and emptied by a skip hire service provider, and they are easier, and often less expensive to hire than trailers. There are lots of good, local skip hire companies that can assist you with your requirements.
It’s common for homeowners to hire a skip when they need to clear their properties of:
- Accumulated rubbish from a house move
- Old furniture
- Large rocks and boulders
- Wood and timber
- Sod and topsoil
Skips are perfect for removing large quantities of heavy materials, but they are also ideal for smaller projects that require large amounts of space. If you plan on starting a project around your property, a skip might be your best option.
Trailers can often be rented out for a day or two at a time, and can sometimes work out a little cheaper, however, the responsibility for disposing of the waste falls on the homeowner, and as such, they can end up becoming a lot more time-consuming, as it requires you to be present during the loading, transporting, and unloading.
Why Choose Skip Over a Trailer
While a trailer is convenient and cost-effective for small home projects, you might find that the investment of hiring a skip is worth it. Here are the reasons why:
- Skips are easier to organise. You will only be renting the skip for a short amount of time, so you don’t need to spend hours trying to look for someone who can provide a trailer. It also takes less time to schedule a collection which means your whole process will be more streamlined and efficient
- Skips are more convenient. They are delivered, collected and emptied by a local skip hire company, which saves you numerous trips to the local recycling centre.
- Skips are better if you are a busy homeowner. If you are trying to run a household and complete a project, then you will find that hiring a skip is far more time-efficient than hiring a trailer. Skips are delivered to you, so you do not need to waste your time driving to a nearby trailer hire company, to collect the trailer, or again when you are finished with it.
- Skips are better for larger projects, and they are also your best bet if you are trying to clear out a large area and you need to haul a large amount of materials in one go. They are very convenient and easy to use.
- Skips let you dispose of large amounts of waste. They are convenient because you can dispose of a wide range of rubbish, saving you multiple trips to the local refuse centre.
- Skips are even better for commercial projects. They are great for home projects and minor renovations but the larger roll-on roll-off skips are an even better option if you plan to carry out a large commercial project.
It is also worth noting that skips are often more environmentally friendly than trailers. Skip hire companies will be more than happy to advise you on which services suit your needs. Hiring a skip is a great way to get rid of waste and clear your property, but it does of course come at a cost. Take your time to decide which option is best for you, and do not rush your decision.
How to Plan a Skip Hire
Skips are one of the easiest ways to transport and clear large quantities of waste materials, but how do you know how to organise a skip hire?
Planning a skip hire takes a few steps. Before you begin the process of ordering a skip, you will need to know exactly what you are trying to clear. If you want to remove a large quantity of rubbish then a skip bin is definitely your best option.
Remember that skips are heavy. Before you order a skip, you will want to make sure you have plenty of help to load it, particularly if your waste includes large bricks or boulders – it will load and transport much more easily if you have a few willing volunteers to assist!
In choosing a skip hire service, you will also want to work out how many cubic metres of space you need for the project. Skips generally come in a range of sizes, but most homeowners will be looking to hire a skip bin that can hold a between 2 and 14 cubic meters
Skip prices can vary depending on the size, the distance the skip needs to travel, and the service provider’s fee. Hiring a service that offers great deals and reasonable rates is advisable, but keep in mind that low prices might come at the expense of service quality.
Skips are a great way to clear out any large quantities of rubbish that you need to get rid of. They are often used for larger commercial projects and waste removal, but they are also convenient for home renovations. Skips come in a range of sizes, so it is worth taking your time to choose the right one for you and your specific needs.
Turn to Enviro Skip Hire if you are looking to hire a skip in Chester. We are a family-run skip hire and aggregate company offering a wide range of skip sizes. Choose your skip today!