Hiring a skip can be a great move if you need some extra space to store some waste or get rid of rubbish. However, it can be easy to get caught out by how long you should keep your skip. If you haven’t hired a skip before, you might be thinking that a day or two should be sufficient enough for you.
However, this just isn’t the case as you need to consider the time that it takes to deliver and collect the skip in the first place. The answer depends on the skip company you hire from, as well as the terms that you arrange with them prior to the scheduled skip. If you want to know more about how long you can keep and use your skip hire, continue reading.
How Long Can I Keep Skip Hire?
The law requires that all waste is disposed of responsibly, and many skip companies will not allow their clients to use skips for more than a week. Some will permit the skip to be kept on one’s property for up to a week and a half. The reason for this is the company needs time to get their skip to you, and around five days for arrangements to be made for the skip to be taken away.
However, this time can be longer as it depends on how long the company needs to collect their skip. If you’re unsure how long you can keep your hired skip, it’s best to contact the company you’ll be hiring from. They will accurately confirm how long you can get rid of your rubbish, as well as how long it will take for your hired services to collect it.
Can You Extend Your Skip Hire Period?
If you require more time, go and negotiate a longer timeframe in the contract with your chosen skip hire company. The main advantage of a longer contract is that it will reduce the cost of the skip, though it is subject to the approval of your hired services. This is particularly significant if you have a lot of rubbish to get rid of and you won’t dispose of it all in just a week.
The amount of time you can extend your skip contract varies depending on the company. Some may let you keep the skip for up to two weeks but keep in mind that they may charge you an additional price if you want to keep it for even longer.
As an alternative, try to explore getting a bigger skip size. This will not cost you more money and will allow you to get rid of more rubbish in a shorter timeframe. It could be a perfect solution if you have a bigger load to throw away with urgency.
Where Can You Keep and Use Your Skip Hire?
The location of where you can place your skip also depends on the skip company that you hire. To begin with, you need to be sure that where you’ll be placing the skip is permitted, which would typically be your own property.
It’s important to consider the surrounding area and ensure that it won’t be a danger to other people as well. For instance, if you’re placing the skip in your garden, ensure that it’s placed away from your back gate or on a hard surface to prevent injuries to children or pets.
In addition, just think about the space you have and how you will be getting the skip by your property. Many skip companies will need you to at least place the skip on the same road as your property, but some may let you place the skip somewhere else on the property.
What Are the Other Benefits of a Skip Hire?
Aside from the fact that they make it easier to get rid of large amounts of waste in a certain timeframe, skips also have several other benefits that can be great. Here are some:
- Cost-Efficiency. Aside from being time-effective, the main benefit of hiring a skip is that it is a cost-efficient solution. For example, if you hire a skip to dispose of rubble, roof tiles, excess bricks, and more, it is a lot less than you would have to pay to hire other disposal services or take the rubbish to the local dump in a van.
- Great Convenience. Hiring a skip is easy and will only take a few minutes to arrange. Plus, the hard work will be made easier as you won’t have to lift the heavy waste into your own car multiple times and take it to the recycling centre yourself.This could be a huge barrier if you’re trying to dispose of heavy rubbish, and it’s a great option for those who might not be able to lift that kind of weight into their own vehicle.
- Variety in Sizes. Hire a small, mid, or large skip, which is great if you have different kinds of waste to dispose of. For example, if you have rubble, just get a larger skip that you could potentially fill up with that rubbish. As long as you’re working with skip hire, you’ll get a skip that is of the right size.
- Environmental Friendliness. Hiring a skip is the most environmentally-friendly option because you don’t have to waste any more time taking the rubbish to the local dump or hiring a van to dispose of it. Choose this as an environmentally-safe alternative and throw trash responsibly.
- Flexible Terms. As established above, skips can be hired for quite a long time. This means you can have the skip for as long as you need. This can be a great way to dispose of your rubbish on your own schedule and terms, requesting skip hire to deliver and collect the bin whenever you want.
Hiring a skip could be the perfect solution for any person who needs to get rid of a huge amount of rubbish fast. However, if you’re hiring the skip for a longer period, it’s best to negotiate with your chosen skip company to see if it’s possible.
Need to hire a skip? Enviro Skip Hire in Cheshire, UK, is a family run skip hire and aggregate company servicing Staffordshire, offering a wide range of skip sizes and aggregates. Get in touch with us today!